[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 8 September 2017

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Sep 8 15:11:46 PDT 2017

The smoke is gone! And, it actually rained this morning, though briefly and not very intense. We need some more. Still, a very pleasant morning … except it was quiet, very quiet. Hardly any bird activity until late morning, after the rain. Of the notables, it was mostly migrants.

Osprey - one still hanging around the nest platform
Cooper’s Hawk - several sightings but not sure how many different birds
Barn Owl - one hunting the central meadows, early
Willow and Pacific-slope Flycatchers - in the same tree, wetlands
Warbling Vireo - one with the flycatchers
Swainson’s Thrush - a couple were whitting
Warblers - several Orange-crowned, Yellow, Wilson’s and Common Yellowthroat
But the best bird of the day was a posing immature Green Heron. It was perched on a partially submerged log and going through a number of postures, tail flicking, crest raising, when it finally saw me. After a moment, it continued posing, then eventually took off to the north.
https://youtu.be/Jgu8ZXPLklE <https://youtu.be/Jgu8ZXPLklE>

For the day, just 40 species.
Scott Ramos
Seattle