[Tweeters] O.T. Choosing a less expensive camera to photograph distant birds

Al n Donna alndonna at wamail.net
Sat Sep 9 11:03:43 PDT 2017

If you were on the Edmonds marina fuel dock at noon Thursday, you saw an old guy with a small camera on a monopod. That was me.

I used a dslr and a heavy 400mm for years. As I got older, a lighter weight, inexpensive camera sounded interesting. I bought a Canon SX50 HS for about $400, about 20 % of the cost and weight of my dslr combo. Similar cameras are Canon SX60 HS and Nikon P900.

>From the fuel dock, I got this picture:

http://www.pbase.com/alndonna/image/166164691

For birds much closer, I get better pictures with the dslr:
http://www.pbase.com/alndonna/image/130978159

Hey, it works for me.

Al in Tacoma