[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 9/13/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:14:19 PDT 2017

Tweets,

Today 38 of us enjoyed a great walk at Nisqually. We started out under
cloudy skies but it soon cleared and the sun came out. We had an 11.9
high tide at 12:48 PM so there was lots of water in the reclamation
area.

It was a hit or miss kind of day with long dry spells and then a
flurry of activity. Highlights included CASSIN'S VIREO, MERLIN and
PECTORAL SANDPIPER.

Our first CASSIN'S VIREO was near the Ed Center where it forages in an
alder with several other passerines. Included in the flock were
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, YELLOW WARBLERS and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS.

Later we picked up another CASSIN'S VIREO near the start of the
boardwalk to the twin barns. Here we encountered another mixed flock
that included WARBLING VIREO, JUNCO, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, YELLOW
and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.

We found one more mixed flock near the second overlook on the was to
the twin barns, but this flock didn't have any vireos that we could
see. It did have BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS, BUSHTITS, SAVANNAH
SPARROW, and DOWNY WOODPECKER.

Out on the mud flats we saw NORTHERN HARRIER, KESTREL, MERLIN, and
AMERICAN PIPITS. There were several flocks of shorebirds that included
WESTERN and LEAST SANDPIPERS, at least 1 BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, 3 PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, and a KILLDEER.

For the day I had 48 species and now have 129 for the year. Mammals
seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER, and GRAY SQUIRREL. There were lots of
GARTER SNAKES out and we had a RED-LEGGED FROG at the visitor center.

The fields have been hayed and some water is being pumped in so we are
getting ready for winter waterfowl. We did see some CACKLING GEESE
today.

Until next week when Shep and Eric will lead in my absence....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA