[Tweeters] Edmonds mystery birds 9-13-17

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 00:48:52 PDT 2017

Wednesday evening (9/13) I set up on Sunset Ave. in Edmonds to photograph the sunset.   Shortly after sunset, a large mass of birds took off from Shell Creek spit and flew out over Puget Sound. Most appeared to be gulls.  One flock of birds; however, did not look or fly like gulls or Caspian terns.

The birds flew very fast in a tight formation low to the water.  They looked and flew like sandpipers, but they were much, much larger than the least and western sandpipers we have been seeing recently at Brackett's Landing.

Scroll down page 21 for a few of my photos. Since I was there to photograph the sunset, I did not have my 500mm telephoto lens and 1.4x teleconverter set up.  I hope someone can take a stab at identifying the birds by their silhouette and flight pattern from these shots I took with the 100-400mm telephoto zoom.
http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?14796-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2017/page21.

Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA