[Tweeters] Lower River Road, Vancouver, WA--snowy egrets

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 14 15:59:47 PDT 2017

I went shortly after lunch (what, am I crazy?).  First stop was Rufener's pond (Ruefners?), which is a holding pond just past 32nd st. I saw a large number of White Egrets, and two Snowy Egrets in the mix. Vancouver Lake yielded no new species...Brewer's Blackbirds, a cacophony of American Crows ( a lot more than I usually see), a few California Scrub Jays, a lot of LBJs, a few gulls that I need to look up to identify more specifically, and a Great Blue Heron.   There were dozens of barn swallows swooping over the more open park land, song sparrows in the bushes, a Bewick's wren, and one American Kestrel.  In the distance I could hear Sandhill Cranes and a flock of Cackling Geese flew overhead. At Frenchman's Bar I also saw  several Brown-headed Cowbirds, including juveniles, in a flock of mixed Brewer's Blackbirds and European Starlings. I also noted Song Sparrows, Northern Flickers, Chickadees, and a Pileated Woodpecker.  Once again I could hear, although not see, some Sandhill Cranes.
Michelle MaaniVancouver, WA