[Tweeters] CORRECTION: Curlew Sandpiper at BOUNDARY BAY, not Point Roberts

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Sun Sep 17 22:08:01 PDT 2017

Birders,

I would NOT recommend looking for the Curlew Sandpiper at Semiahmoo Spit. The Curlew Sandpiper, both at Reifel on Sept. 10 and at Boundary Bay today, was associating with Western Sandpipers, not with plovers. Few if any Western Sandpipers roost with the plovers on Semiahmoo Spit at or near high tide. Case in point: when I visited Semiahmoo Spit on September 14, there were about 800 Black-bellies there along with a scattering of other shorebirds, but only one Western Sandpiper.

However, a visit to Semiahmoo Spit may be worthwhile if you are looking for godwits. All 3 species (Marbled, Hudsonian, and Bar-tailed) were seen there today, and a Willet has been with them on at least a couple of days recently.

Please be aware that the number of shorebirds roosting on Semiahmoo Spit varies greatly, and most days there are few to none there. On a visit about 10 days ago, there was only one Black-bellied Plover on the spit. There were far more birders there that day than there were shorebirds!

All the best,

Wayne Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net