[Tweeters] 3-woodpecker *minute*

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Tue Sep 19 17:05:13 PDT 2017

Hi again Tweets,

Well, the day has turned out to be full of avian excitement. After I
posted my earlier announcement below, I was sitting in my living room
looking out toward our woods. I¹d been laughing because a squirrel pair
has started moving into the box we put up a couple of years ago, hoping
for an owl. Squirrel disappeared. Then a flicker started checking out the
nest box, only to be run off by the returning squirrel:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/36497197144/in/dateposted-public/

[Can¹t seem to embed links within text, sorry ­ listserv bounces HTML
messages back as too bigŠ?]

Seven minutes later, I saw a blur arrive to the side of a big fir ­ holy
moly, a Red-breasted Sapsucker! First time at this house since we moved in
3 years ago. New yard bird!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/37162024432/in/dateposted-public/

Then moments later, a flicker returned to the tree near the nest box and
the sapsucker, got them both in one view! Then the flicker flew up at the
sapsucker, who vamoosed.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/37335134275/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/37335140225/in/dateposted-public/

And as the sapsucker disappeared behind the foliage, instantly a Downy
Woodpecker flew in, arousing much interest on the part of the flicker.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/37191766521/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/37335136365/in/dateposted-public/

The Downy stayed only a few seconds, then followed in the sapsucker¹s
general direction.

I checked the time stamp on the photos: all three woodpecker species had
appeared within a single minute. How cool is that?

All this was followed by much posturing among 4 flickers and two robins,
all hanging around the same section of the fir trunk. Wonder if the rain
has gotten everyone suddenly concerned about shelter? And I¹m thinking of
this season¹s juveniles, who probably have no memory of heavy wet stuff
descending from the sky: a sudden mystery in their young livesŠ

Cheers,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Pelly Valley, West Seattle