[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagles Pride Golf Course monthly bird walk - 9-21-2017

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu Sep 21 19:25:21 PDT 2017

A dozen of us walked around the Eagles Pride GC today. About 50degF, warming to somewhere in the mid-50's; sporadic rain showers, mostly in the first hour or so; almost no wind. The first bird I ID'd after arriving well before the main group of birders was a VARIED THRUSH. A nice start for the birding day. Seasonal firsts include CACKLING GOOSE; WOOD DUCK; HUTTON'S VIREO; RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET; the aforementioned VARIED THRUSH; FOX SPARROW; and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. Several swallow species (NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED, BARN, and VIOLET-GREEN), the Wood Ducks, and PIED-BILLED GREBES (an adult and two immature) were at Hodge Lake. Warblers included ORANGE-CROWNED, YELLOW-RUMPED, and BLACK-THROATED GRAY.

Mammals: a black-tailed deer; a Townsend's chipmunk; and a young coyote.

The JBLM Eagles Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagles Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:
• October 19
• November 16
• December 21
Anyone is welcome to join us!

35 species (+1 other taxa)

Cackling Goose 12 Two small flocks of Cackling geese flew over. ID'd by all in the party by voice and body-to-neck length. In addition, compared with another flock of Canada geese that flew over, the body-to-neck length difference was readily apparent. (Note: Cackling geese have been seen within the last week at the nearby Billy Frank, Jr., Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. The fact that eBird even questioned this sighting seems bizarre to me.)
Canada Goose 4
Wood Duck 4
Hooded Merganser 2 On the "maintenance" pond near the driving range.
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 5
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Hutton's Vireo 2
Steller's Jay 3
American/Northwestern Crow 2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2 Three of us ID'd this species by the overall dusky gray/brown color, whitish underbelly, short, squared-off tail, and gray/brown throat.
Violet-green Swallow 2
Barn Swallow 20
Black-capped Chickadee 7
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 17
Bushtit 24 Two distinct flocks in widely separated area.
Red-breasted Nuthatch 5
Brown Creeper 3
Bewick's Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 10