[Tweeters] Fine Friday for Heading West!

Jon Houghton jon.houghton at hartcrowser.com
Fri Sep 22 21:15:48 PDT 2017

Hi Tweets - I justvmade the cut for the Westport pelagic trip tomorrow, and we just made the 0755 Edmonds ferry this morning. On the far side of the Sound, I got a nice look at a light phase Parasitic Jaeger sitting on a floating log, which was subsequently joined by another in harassing a flock of Bonaparte's Gulls just off Appletree Point. Next stop was at the STP ponds where we were fortunate to spot a super specimen of a juv Sharptailed SP shining amongst several Pectoral s. Always great to have the opportunity to get some fellow birders on this - a lifer for both!! On to Bottle Beach which was a bit disappointing - just a few Black bellied Plovers, nothing Golden, but the pair of Ruddy Turnstone s was nice. At the Westport Marina, the horde​ of several hundred Marbled Godwits managed to successfully hide any Bar-tailed that might have been in there. We hit the beach at Midway about mid afternoon and before even turning to head south, were stopped in our tracks by a super cute Snowy Plover, AND a nice Lapland Longspur, both hoped-for FOY. About a dozen more Snowys seen along the beach, either up in the car tracks or along the surf line, playing with the Sanderlings. All in all, a pretty good day (despite a needed moment of silence in honor of a dead Humpback) with an unexpected 10 FOY, and we haven't even left the Harbor!! Happy Birding! - Jon Houghton, Edmonds