[Tweeters] Jay Migration at St. Cloud on Sept. 24th

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 11:27:03 PDT 2017

Tweeters,

Spurred on by the report of migrating jays and other species at St. Cloud
Recreation Area, Skamania County, I headed over to try my luck. Like the
previous report, I saw many, many jays moving west to east. Most were
about a quarter mile north of the river but one group flew overhead. My
numbers follow:

7:18am - 7:45am: 252 (included one flock of 158 over an 8 minute period)
Steller's Jays
7:46am - 8am: 120 Steller's Jays and 20 Scrub Jays and one Lewis's
Woodpecker
8:01am - 8:15am: 41 Steller's Jays and 24 Scrub Jays
8:16am - 8:30am: 40 Steller's Jays
8:31am - 8:45am: 60 Steller's Jays and 8 Scrub Jays.

Total:

Steller's Jay: 515
C. Scrub Jay: 52
Lewis's Woodpecker: 1

There were also:

150+ Yellow-rumped Warbler
20 White-crowned Sparrow
15 Golden-croned Sparrow
50 Cedar Waxwing
45 American Robin
5 Varied Thrush
and miscellaneous kinglets, RB Sapsuckers, N. Flickers, D. Woodpeckers, and
a few blackbirds.

A rather amazing spot!

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim Danzenbaker