Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 29 04:33:30 PDT 2017

Tweeters -

The last warm day before the rains at Marymoor turned out to be birdy, but a little lackluster — none of the craziness of last week’s show — we were missing Michael, and it seems he took the rarities with him. Nevertheless, we had a lot of birds flying most all day - nothing like the quiet days of earlier in the month.

Highlights:

Western Grebe - 2 on lake
Mourning Dove - 1 in fields offering good views
Wilson’s Snipe - a few flying and grunting pre-dawn — our first of the fall
Virginia Rail - 5 — including one that came out for brief views at the lake viewing platform
Steller’s Jay - 30+ - we seemed to have a steady movement that was more than our usual fall movement of Steller’s gathering nuts.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - several back, including at least attempts at song
Orange-crowned Warbler - 2-3
Yellow-rumped Warblers - many many moving through
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 2-3

Missing today , many species — no swallows, no gulls, not many ducks, and no solid pipits [or larks or longspurs], despite quite a bit of effort.

For the day, we came up with 49 species [down 27 from last week's total!]

Good birding,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA