[Tweeters] Washington Birder 2018 List Report

Kevin Lucas vikingcove at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:41:53 PST 2019

New calendar year

Now's a great time to read or re-read the American Birding Association Code
of Birding Ethics. http://listing.aba.org/ethics/ It's well written.

In the ABA Code of Birding Ethics, in bold typeface: "Please Follow this
Code and Distribute and Teach it to Others".

It directs, "...place the welfare of birds and the benefits of public
knowledge ahead of the company’s commercial interests." I put it ahead of
personal tics and year "needs".

It reminds me to keep my bird feeding areas clean and safe, and, no matter
how much I want to share or brag about a rare bird, "evaluate the potential
for disturbance to the bird, its surroundings, and other people in the
area, and proceed only if access can be controlled, disturbance minimized,
and [explicit] permission has been obtained from private landowners."

I wish it were included as a necessary confirmation checkbox in any Big Day
and year reports, and in eBird checklist submissions. It would fit nicely
in cell A5 of Ken & Laurie Knittle's Washington Birder List Report form.

I carry a printed copy with me when bird watching and volunteering in the
field. It's a lightweight field guide.

Good Birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, WA