[Tweeters] Duck ID help?

Gene Beall gene.beall at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 19:39:09 PST 2019

Wow, I got 8 quick reply's to my query and there was quite the variation.
Thank you all so very much! The answers included:

* 1 for young male Common Goldeneye

* 1 for female Goldeneye. Not sure which one

* 2 for young (first year) male Barrow's Goldeneye

* 4 for female Common Goldeneye

Thus, it appears to be a goldeneye, but which one and which sex?

It was the whitish breast and black bill that were throwing me and keeping
me from thinking it was a Goldeneye in the first place. However, given the
consensus that it is a Goldeneye, I conclude that the brown head indicates a
young bird and the whitish breast indicates a male. As for Common vs.
Barrow's, it would seem to come down to the shape of the head and looking at
the three photos, honestly I can't see that it clearly points to one or the
other. I'd be happy to be educated on how to distinguish that and I welcome
further conversation to draw a definitive conclusion.

Thank you again to all those who responded thus far!!

Gene Beall

Sammamish, WA