[Tweeters] Skagit Gyrfalcon, Great Egret, and so forth

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 17:08:42 PST 2019

Dear Tweeters,
After missing the Northern Waterthrush at the Skagit Game Range on New Years Day, I had to go for it again today. It turned out to be a fine day indeed. Here are some highlights.
Game Range: one NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH not too far from the boat-launch parking area; one BARN SWALLOW in the same area; Long-billed Dowitchers and Greater Yellowlegs with some Dunlins in the pond just south of the boat-launch parking area.
Skagit Flats: one GREAT EGRET in a ditch on the east side of LaConner-Whitney Road, opposite Flats Road. This is presumably the same maddeningly irregular bird that has frequented the area from Fir Island to Samish Flats the last few years. Good luck tracking it down.
Also on Skagit Flats, when I pulled over at the "Talking Field" parking lot on McLean Road, just east of LaConner-Whitney Road, to call some friends and let them know about the egret, an adult GYRFALCON flew from a pole. This bird flew northwest. I am almost certain that it was the same adult that I saw at Hayton Reserve on the thirty-first of December.
The SWAMP SPARROW continues in the wetlands along Samish Island Road, just southeast of the Samish "Y" (turnoff for Lutheran church). Today it was a hundred yards east of where it was on New Year's Eve, close to the spot where one can park on the dike to view Alice Bay.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch