[Tweeters] Fwd: NIsqually NWR 1/2/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:39:34 PST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Phil Kelley <scrubjay323 at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 5:27 PM
Subject: NIsqually NWR 1/2/19
To: Dennis & Bonnie <dbweeks76 at gmail.com>, Glynnis Nakai
<glynnis_nakai at fws.gov>, Teresa Hertzel <Nancy.hertzel at gmail.com>,
Tweeters <tweeters at u.washington.edu>, Phil Kelley
<scrubjay323 at gmail.com>

Tweets,

Today 30 of us enjoyed a good walk at Nisqually. It was cold but
clear, with not much breeze. The facilities are still closed except
for the rest rooms at the visitor center, but the gates are open
sunrise to sunset.

The best bird of the day was a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW that provided
great looks along the access road across from the orchard. It popped
in and out of the hedgerow several times and allowed us close access
as it fed with a flock of GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS. In the orchard we
also had a couple of DOWNEY WOODPECKERS and RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS.

There were lots of passerines about with several BROWN CREEPER near
the visitor center. We ran across a couple of flocks of BUSHTIT and
saw many KINGLETS.

At the visitor center overlook we saw a BEAVER and there was a
WILSON'S SNIPE off to the right. A couple of the early arrivals saw a
VIRGINIA RAIL that ducked into cover before I got a glimpse.

We had a SNOW GEESE fly off the refuge as we were getting out of our
cars and there were plenty of the usual waterfowl about.

For the day I had 46 species without walking the estuary boardwalk.
Shep's ebird report has the full list.

Mammals seen included the BEAVER and 4 COLUMBIAN BLACK-TAILED DEER,
one of which was resting under the education center about 8:30.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA