[Tweeters] WHIMBREL at Blaine (Whatcom Co.)

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Fri Jan 4 09:58:28 PST 2019

Birders,

Early yesterday afternoon, in steady rain, I was birding around Blaine, and
decided to check some fields just east of town. (Only mad dogs and
Englishmen-or their descendants-go out in the pouring rain.) I stopped along
Boblett Street just east of State Route 543, where at least 50 gulls were
loafing in the grass. Imagine my surprise when a brown blob in the middle of
the gulls turned out to be a WHIMBREL! This species migrates through the
Blaine area in large numbers in spring, but is totally unexpected in
January. There has been a single Whimbrel present for parts of the last 2
winters on the Tsawwassen ferry jetty, not too far away in BC, and I am
speculating that this may have been the same bird. The Whimbrel was not too
far away and I got some great photos.

The tide was very high, or I expect the bird would have been somewhere on
the Drayton Harbor mudflats instead.

Good birding and Happy New Year to all.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC