[Tweeters] 2018 birding highlights

Marv Breece marvbreece at q.com
Tue Jan 8 10:18:13 PST 2019

I enjoy reading about the wonderful 2018 adventures of Washington birders. Although I didn't chase any records last year, I would like to share a few of my 2018 Washington highlights as follows:

Added Ruddy Turnstone, White Wagtail & Prairie Falcon to my King County list to finally reach the 300 mark.
Had 7 sightings of 5 individual Rusty Blackbirds in 4 counties. Found 3, twitched 2.
Five sightings of 3 individual Gyrfalcons.
Five leucistic birds: Canada Goose, Cackling Goose, Ruddy Duck, Eurasian Collared-Dove and Bald Eagle.
22 Harlan's Hawk sightings of light morphs and dark morphs. Not sure how many individuals that represents.
Several sightings of Blue Morph Snow Geese. I saw none prior to 2003 & have seen them most years since.
Cassiar Junco; saw 3 last year & have seen them 10 of the past 12 years. I'm sure with effort they could be seen every year in Washington.
Merlin: 32 sightings in 2018; down from 48 sightings in 2017; now at 846 on my way to a life goal of 1,000 Merlin sightings in Washington.
Red-tailed Hawk: a possible Eastern subspecies in the Kent Valley in 2018. Bill Clark recently confirmed that a bird I photographed in May , 2008 in Adams County was mostly a light-morph juvenile eastern Red-tail, with some harlani influence.
There's a lot to see out there!

Some of the above would not have happened without the help of other birders. I am grateful to those who report their sightings.

--
Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA
marvbreece at q.com

The past and the present are not disjunct domains.