[Tweeters] bird ID

Robert O'Brien baro at pdx.edu
Tue Jan 8 12:33:15 PST 2019

What a beautiful photo--looks like a painting.
Yes, I'd say an Orange Crown, but a very interesting and unusual(?) one.
It appears to be of the race *orestera* but even then it is very strongly
marked.
And although orange-crowns winter in the pacific nw in small numbers
regularly--not this race.
There are no eBird winter records of this subspecies in WA or OR and only
one in BC.
It is uncommon in winter in the southern 1/2 of california and sparse
farther north there.

See
https://ebird.org/pnw/news/orange-crowned-warblers-oreothlypis-celata-in-the-pacific-northwest/

The closest lookalikes I can find in McCauley Library are

https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=orcwar2&q=Orange-crowned%20Warbler%20(orestera)%20-%20Oreothlypis%20celata%20orestera

https://search.macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=orcwar2&q=Orange-crowned%20Warbler%20(orestera)%20-%20Oreothlypis%20celata%20orestera

Depending what local experts think, this might be a good candidate for the
Frontiers in Bird ID list. Some people really get off on OC Warblers and
it would be interesting to hear what they say.

BIRDWG01 at listserv.ksu.edu
Bob OBrien Portland