[Tweeters] The other Screech-Owl

Dalton Spencer offthehookflyshop at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 22:24:18 PST 2019

Hi all,
While I was out owling on Thursday I was reminded of an age older birding conundrum that I thought I might share.
I was owling in the intent of finding a Western Screech-Owl in an area of Lewis County that had previously had one. After 15 minutes of waiting I decided to try some playback. Within 5 minutes of calling a Barn Owl sounded off a hundred yards away. I laughed becasue here I was calling for Screech-Owl and all I could get to respond was a "screeching owl".
Most everybody knows that Western Screech-Owls' songs and calls are that of bouncy balls bouncing and dogs barks. Whereas a Barn Owl can sound like a shreeking demon or a Rail. These two birds are often confused my beginners and by nonbirders.
I would rank this confusion up there somewhere between American Robin's being thrushes and American Coots not being ducks.
This confusion will always be around just like seagulls and blue jays will always make birders cringe.
Dalton Spencer Chehalis, Washington
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android