[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 1/16/19

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 15:18:15 PST 2019

Tweets,

Today 35 of us enjoyed a brisk walk at Nisqually. By brisk I mean
cold. It was 32 degrees at 8:00 and didn't warm up much. At least
there wasn't any wind. We had a 13.7 high tide at 12:35 so there was
lots of water out along the estuary dike and boardwalk.

At the visitor's center overlook we were treated to a couple WILSON'S
SNIPE roosting where the spring flows into the pond. One was still
there at 1:30 when I finished the walk.

The usual waterfowl were abundant throughout the refuge but were
scattered due to the high water. Passerines were scarce, perhaps due
to the cold, but we had most of the expected species.

We did have several RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS in the orchard and close
to 10 BROWN CREEPER throughout the riparian areas.

Raptors were present with multiple BALD EAGLES and RED-TAILED HAWKS.
In addition we had NORTHERN HARRIER, PEREGRINE FALCON and AMERICAN
KESTRAL.

For the day I had 46 species and now have 53 for the year. Mammals
seen included GRAY SQUIRREL and MUSKRAT.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA