[Tweeters] Scout Trip Okanogan Highlands Sunday 1/20/2019

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:48:11 PST 2019

Hi Tweets,

Scotch Creek and Conconully were slow with no sightings of Sharp-tailed
Grouse and limited diversity in town. We observed many AMERICAN CROW,
large flocks of AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, PINE SISKIN and TURKEY. The feeder at
the north end of town was good for all three nuthatch and SLATE-COLORED
JUNCO. We also saw two CASSIN'S FINCH, mixed in with HOUSE FINCH. I think
it might be climate related observation as the temperature was unusually
warm at 30 degrees Farhenheit and there was very little snow to push the
grouse out of the hills. We did not see Varied Thrush or Townsend's
Solitaire as we typically would.

Shooting back up to the highlands, on Hungry-Hollow Road we observed SNOW
BUNTING and GRAY PARTRIDGE.

On Pontiac Ridge we observed TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE, and PILEATED
WOODPECKER. We found an AMERICAN DIPPER, on the small pond just east of
Beaver Pond on Chesaw Road.

Mary Ann Creek Road was good for GREAT BLUE HERON, GREAT HORNED OWL,
BOHEMIAN WAXWING and NORTHERN PYGMY OWL.

We had good numbers of ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK and RED-TAILED HAWK everywhere,
and good numbers of GREAT HORNED OWL on the power poles on our way down
from the highlands.

Nice sightings, but typical winter birding with lots of driving and quiet
times in between sightings.

Happy birding!

Shep

--