[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 25 January 2019

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri Jan 25 21:59:08 PST 2019

A glorious Seattle day, temps in the 40s, mostly sun, slight breezes—I could get used to days like this! And the birds were certainly enjoying the weather as well. Lots of activity, including singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets, diving Anna’s Hummingbirds, and several berry-eating species stuffing their mouths full. Mostly the expected species, with a couple of nice visitors.
Cackling Goose - the single Taverner’s continues
Scaup - where are they? a single Lesser and a dozen or so Greater
Red-breasted Merganser - at least 4, one of the higher counts I have seen
Western Grebe - with good lighting in the afternoon sun, I could scope-count the flock way out in the lake: exactly 384 birds!
Bald Eagle - just a single immature
Bushtit - only 14 and that was two flocks—starting to disperse from the large groups?
Cedar Waxwing - many dozen, all eating hawthorn berries, joined by almost as many American Robin, European Starling and a few Spotted Towhee
https://youtu.be/490Rx0Qctew
White-throated Sparrow - tan-striped, south end
For the day, 52 species.
Checklist: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52038638
Scott Ramos
Seattle