[Tweeters] Okanogan Highlands/Waterville Plateau Winter Trip 1/25-1/28

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 20:36:40 PST 2019

Hi Tweets,

I led a trip for Clearwater Audubon over the weekend, and we had a super
fun time with great weather.

Thanks to everyone for tips on searching for the Gyrfalcon, but we
unfortunately did not relocate this species on the Skagit and south Sammish
flats. The detour worked out great though, as we picked up many west side
species that the wonderful folks from Florida had hoped to see.

On Saturday 1/26 we birded the Okanogan Highlands and had great looks at
GOLDEN EAGLE and CHUKAR on Fancher Rd and working the butte. Siwash Creek
Road was great for SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, PYGMY NUTHATCH, MOUNTAIN CHICKADEE
and CLARK'S NUTCRACKER. Along Havillah Road we had ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK and
CANADA JAY. We had great looks at NORTHERN PYGMY OWL and GREAT HORNED OWL
on Mary Ann Creek Road. Both feeders on Nealy and Hungry-Hollow had
expected species, no Gray-crowned Rosy-finch were observed.

On Sunday 1/27 we birded Conconully and had good looks of ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK
and AMERICAN TREE SPARROW on Happy Hill Road. The town itself was good for
PINE SISKIN, AMERICAN GOLDFINCH, and PURPLE FINCH.
On Cameron Lake Road we observed RED CROSSBILL, PYGMY NUTHATCH, CASSIN'S
FINCH and HORNED LARK. We found CEDAR WAXWING and MERLIN at the truck
scales at the intersection of SR 97 and SR 17. Bridgeport State Park was
good for GREAT HORNED OWL and NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL.

On Monday 1/28 we observed TRUMPETER SWAN, CANVASBACK and other water fowl
where the bridge crosses the Okanogan River just north of Pateros Lake.
The base of Central Ferry Canyon was good for VARIED TRUSH and PURPLE
FINCH. We picked up three LONG-TAILED DUCK at the middle Lake Pateros
Overlook on the south side. The Waterville Plateau was slow, but we did
have good sightings of PRAIRIE FALCON, HORNED LARK and picked up three SNOW
BUNTING on F Road north of 8 and Waterville. The abandoned farm on
Heritage Road was good for AMERICAN TREE SPARROW and NORTHERN SHRIKE.

Lots of ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, and many white throated HORNED LARKS
(articola/alpina) and good numbers of yellow throated (merrilli).

If you head east to Waterville Plateau and the Okanogan Highlands, I hope
you have a wonderful time. Drive safe!

Happy birding,

Shep

--