[Tweeters] Wiley Slough - Update

jeff o jeffo4297 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 13:05:26 PDT 2022

Greetings Tweeterland,
I'd like to add my $.02 regarding the Wiley work. While the contract work
was heavy handed and not very presentable, without it and the work that
will take place next year we might not have dike access at all.
I'm not trying to be an apologist for WDFW but the dikes were starting to
be overtopped and eroding away and would eventually result in saltwater
intrusion into the ag communities properties nearby.
WDFW could have done a better job of signage and cleaned up the clearing
much better than they did. But prepare yourself for the next phase in the
summer of 2023.

Skagit Audubon conducted the Big Sit at the dike junction earlier this
month and reported 59 species from 8am to 5pm. That count is greater than
last year but not our record, which was 63.

The pump and tide gate work that was done near the boat ramp pretty much
devastated that area as well. Now the waterthrush is being seen again and
most of the other birds seem to be back as well.

Change is hard!

JeffOsmundson
Stanwood
Water is the most important element in life....Because without it you can't
make coffee