[Tweeters] Winter Raptor Survey Project

Jeff Fleischer raptorrunner97321 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 28 16:13:11 PDT 2022

HI Everyone,

On November 1, the Bend, OR based East Cascades Audubon Society’s Winter Raptor Survey Project will begin its 19th survey season. Last winter we ended with 512 active survey routes throughout OR, ID, WA, and parts of northern CA, northeastern UT, and southwestern MT covering more than 30,000 miles of transects. Over 400 survey volunteers will again survey their routes during the primary survey season of December through February. November and March are also available as optional months. This is a very large and active citizen science project that has provided a very large data base to the Peregrine Fund to augment their worldwide data base for birds of prey.

Washington has 174 routes and the following are in need of a volunteer to do surveys this winter:

Brush Prairie - Battleground 55 miles
Fidalgo - Whidbey Island 44
White Swan East 73
White Swan West 50
Wapato 67
Toppenish West 76
Toppenish East 54
Prosser West 91
Telford 69
Kennewick South 79
Kennewick SW 54
Kennewick West 78

We ask that our volunteers commit to one survey per month during December through February, that they have a good grasp of raptor ID, and that they have at least binoculars to search for and ID birds, spotting scopes are preferable but not required. Surveys can be scheduled any day of the month that matches up with your life schedule each month.

If this sounds like something that you would like to be a part of, please get back to me as soon as you can with your route choice(s) and I will work with you to get prepared for the effort. This is a great opportunity to learn about raptors in your chosen area, hope to hear from you soon, thank you :)

Jeff Fleischer
Project Coordinator
Winter Raptor Survey Project
East Cascades Audubon Society - Bend, OR (project sponsor)