[Tweeters] Marymoor Park weekly walk to turn to ChatGPT for future reports.

J Christian Kessler 1northraven at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 10:38:03 PDT 2023

a brilliant response. but I expect that Tweeters will soon be flooded with
2nd hand binos, scopes, etc. for sale. should I update my 28 year old
Swarovskis? just for my yard list, or can I learn how to use ChatGPT for
that too? is this something WOS or the former Seattle Audubon can help
with?

Chris Kessler

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 9:32 AM Robert O'Brien <baro at pdx.edu> wrote:

> I totally support Chat-Birding as well.. The savings in Birding Equipment

> alone is worth it. Binos,Scopes, Cameras, Night-vision Imaging, Recording

> Equipment, the list goes on and on. I ain't no spring chicken any more and

> it was becoming a real chore to lug all this equipment around. I'm assuming

> here, of course, that the Chat Box will also produce photos, recordings,

> distinctive field marks, etc. of the rarer species that I can keep in my

> Birding Scrapbook. I am also guessing that Bird Lists from hard-to-bird

> places will also be available. For instance I've always been reluctant to

> bird Cartel-ridden areas of Mexico. But, via the Chatbox I can now search

> for the Imperial Woodpecker, And this will also open up Birding Areas in

> hostage-periled areas of Russia, China, Iran.... The sky is the limit.

> (For instance, I could search for Black Swifts on their South

> American wintering grounds where they fly for months without ever

> landing.) Such a joy to live in the modern world where human intelligence

> is a thing of the past. Bob OBrien Portland

> P.S. After all, I was never all that smart myself.

> On Sat, Apr 1, 2023 at 7:25 AM Tom Benedict <benedict.t at comcast.net>

> wrote:

>> I totally support this change. The savings in fuel and time costs alone

>> justify it and the positive effects on global climate change are

>> immeasurable.

>> Tom Benedict

>> Seahurst, WA

>> On Apr 1, 2023, at 06:15, Matt Bartels <mattxyz at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Marymoor Park, in Redmond WA, is leading the way in AI-fueled birding.

>> With the weekly Marymoor bird outings beginning their 30th year,

>> Michael Hobbs, leader of the walk, announced a major change in how future

>> walks will proceed. Beginning in April, ChatGPT will be used in lieu of

>> birders in the field to generate the weekly bird reports.

>> ChatGPT has exploded in popularity this year as the first widely used

>> example of narrow AI. It appears capable of producing near-human sounding

>> plausible narratives using a LLM in response to user questions. Hobbs, no

>> stranger to technological advances, had just the dataset to train ChatGPT

>> on – namely, his website https://www.marymoor.org/BirdBlog.htm. With

>> weekly reports for years of consistent birding outings at Marymoor Park, it

>> contained patterns the AI would easily be able to learn from.

>> “Honestly, it takes very little work to train ChatGPT to produce reports

>> -- arguably better reports than we humans can produce”, Hobbs

>> reported. ChatGPT reviews past Marymoor reports for the week and broader

>> trends on eBird and produces a near-perfect report for future weeks. Hobbs

>> is now working to incorporate weather data into the model as well for

>> better precision.”

>> Although he has already had ChatGPT produce the reports for each week in

>> 2023, he is keeping future reports a closely held secret, saying “Afterall,

> [...]

"moderation in everything, including moderation"
Rustin Thompson