birdmarymoor birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Apr 6 13:38:41 PDT 2023

Tweets - The weather wasn't delightful, but it was really just a bit of mist and mizzle.  Temps were okay, and there wasn't much breeze.  Still doesn't really feel like spring, but there are signs pointing that way.

Highlights
    * Canada Goose - Seem to be nesting atop both Osprey platforms, and in an island on the slough below the weir
    * Rufous Hummingbird - Now several males present, and we got our first decent views of spring
    * OSPREY - First of Spring (FOS).  Perched on softball field lights in the NE part of the park
    * Bushtit - Numerous and widespread
    * Tree and Violet-green Swallows - Numerous over the slough when we completed the main loop
    * Hermit Thrush - One in Big Cottonwood Forest.  Best time to see them is now through the first week of May
    * Lincoln's Sparrow - One in Pea Patch, first since February.  Same best season as Hermit Thrush.
    * Brown-headed Cowbird - Two below weir.  FOS, but not First of Year since we had one in January

Misses today included Rock Pigeon (except for the tame released one), Wilson's Snipe, Pine Siskin, and Common Yellowthroat.  The COYE are almost always back by this time of the year (23 of 30 years).

Tuesday, I had four species we missed today: AMERICAN WIGEON, BAND-TAILED PIGEON, HAIRY WOODPECKER, and TOWNSEND'S WARBLER.

For the day, 56 species plus the Ring-necked Pheasant.  61 species total for the week.  Maybe next week the weather will be warm and birdy.

= Michael Hobbs