[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Billy Frank Jr NWR for 4/5/2023

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:00:27 PDT 2023

Dear Tweets,

Approximately 40 of us had a really fun day at the Refuge with chilly
temperatures in the 30's to 50's degrees Fahrenheit and a southerly breeze
with mostly cloudy skies. There was a Low 2.3ft Tide at 12:30pm.
Highlights included FOY CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAY and TURKEY VULTURE, Myrtle
variety of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD, and both EURASIAN
WIGEON and AMERICAN X EURASIAN WIGEON hybrid. Overall the diversity at the
Refuge is less than expected, as we would normally be seeing Cliff Swallow,
Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Caspian Tern, Osprey, Common Yellowthroat,
Savannah Sparrow, and more shorebirds. Some of us have speculated that
perhaps the stormy weather in California has slowed down some of our early
spring migrants.

Starting out at the Visitor Center Pond Overlook at 8am, we had great looks
at PIED-BILLED GREBE, RING-NECKED DUCK, HOODED MERGANSER and BALD EAGLE.
As it turns out, we had a Bald Eagle high count of 65 birds which is not
something I usually see in April (usually 15-30 birds). A flock of 6
CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES flew through and a CALIFORNIA SCRUB-JAY teed up
on a tall Alder Tree across the pond. I worry about the Chestnut-backed
Chickadee when I see Scrub-jay in the neighborhood.

The Orchard was good for PURPLE FINCH, RED-TAILED HAWK, ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER and RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET. We also had sightings of both
hummingbirds, BEWICK'S WREN and VARIED THRUSH. BUSHTIT continued to work
on a nest in a small Doughlas Fir tree. A nice flock of
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER were foraging around the green gate to the Access
Road and we got to pick through the flock for a couple of Myrtle variety
mixed in with the predominantly Audubon's variety.

The flooded fields adjacent to the Access Road were good for NORTHERN
SHOVELER, AMERICAN WIGEON, AMERICAN GREEN-WINGED TEAL, AMERICAN COOT, TREE
SWALLOW and GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW. A large flock of Taverner's variety of
CACKLING GEESE, about 100, lined the entrance road. A SORA was heard
calling. The numbers of NORTHERN PINTAIL were down, but hundreds of
"dabbling ducks" were observed on the Reach and not identifiable due to the
low tide and distance. We had a great look at a yellow shafted, red and
black malar, red-naped Intergrade NORTHERN FLICKER. A couple of
VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS were heard and seen, as well a couple of BARN
SWALLOW. Normally, this time of year we would see more Barn Swallow, as
well Cliff Swallow and Northern Rough-winged Swallow, but they have been
late to show.

The west side of the Twin Barns Loop Trail was great for WOOD DUCK, BROWN
CREEPER and RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD. HOODED MERGANSER were observed visiting
tree hole cavities in large Maple Trees. We also had good looks at
Red-eared Slider Turtle, BullFrog, and Salamander Egg clusters. No Common
Yellowthroat to be seen... usually reported at this time in previous years.

The Twin Barns Overlook is a great spot for RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and picking
through the waterfowl and swallows. An AMERICAN X EURASIAN WIGEON was
spotted by Rob. The Bald Eagle were fairly active hunting the waterfowl.

Getting out on the Nisqually Estuary Trail, or dike, we checked on the BALD
EAGLE continuing on the nest in the large Cottonwood north on the west bank
of the Nisqually River. No chicks yet, but an occupied nest for three
weeks now. The freshwater marsh on the inside of the dike was great for
close looks of waterfowl, GREAT BLUE HERON, RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD, and MARSH
WREN. Good numbers of CACKLING GEESE continue. As we say at Nisqually
during a low tide, "acres of mud" to be scanned. SHORT-BILLED GULL,
RING-BILLED GULL and GREATER YELLOWLEG were fairly evenly dispersed over
the estuary as they foraged.

On the Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail, the tidal channels and receding
waters edge of McAllister Creek consolidated the AMERICAN WIGEON, GADWALL,
GREEN-WINGED TEAL, BUFFLEHEAD, COMMON GOLDENEYE, and DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANT. We had nice looks of RED-BREASTED MERGANSER displaying. Three
EURASIAN WIGEON were located. Tom found a female Eurasian Wigeon being
followed by a male EUWI. Anders spotted a distant FOY TURKEY VULTURE. Ken
located two SPOTTED SANDPIPER on the west bank of McAllister Creek. The
Puget Sound Viewing Platform was good for scoping BRANT GEESE, BRANDT
CORMORANT, and HORNED GREBE. We dipped on Surf Scoter and Common Loon.
There were hundreds of waterfowl on the reach, most likely AMWI and NOPI,
but too far to distinguish. And plenty of "big guys"
WESTERN/GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS.

The Nisqually River Overlook was excellent for viewing COMMON MERGANSER, we
also had many additional Common Goldeneye (high count for the day). A
female BELTED KINGFISHER seemed to be closely sticking to the area. The
maintenance crew has cleared the Willow Trees north of the Viewing Platform
significantly improving the view downstream. Kudos to the Billy Frank Jr
NWR Maintenance Crew, they do a stellar job maintaining our trails and
regulating the water levels and vegetation in our fields, a big thank you!

On our return we picked up PACIFIC WREN, SPOTTED TOWHEE and additional
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and SONG SPARROW.

We had 64 species for the day, and have seen 109 species for the year.
Misses include Fox Sparrow, Lincoln's Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Cliff
Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Common Yellowthroat, Northern
Harrier, Osprey, falcon (Peregrine or American Kestrel), Least Sandpiper,
Dunlin. Caspian Tern, and Golden-crowned Kinglet.
Mammals seen included Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed
Deer, Eastern Gray Squirrel, and Harbor Seal.

Until next week, happy birding!

Shep
--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Apr 5, 2023 7:21 AM - 4:02 PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.187 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Mostly cloudy with temperatures in
the 30’s to 50’s degrees Fahrenheit. A Low 2.3ft Tide at 12:30pm. Mammals
seen Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Columbian Black-tailed Deer, Eastern
Gray Squirrel, Harbor Seal.
64 species (+7 other taxa)

Brant (Black) 50 Puget Sound Observation Platform. Birds on Nisqually
Reach.
Cackling Goose (minima) 500
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 100
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 40 Old owl nest tree north section of
Twin Barns Loop Trail.
Northern Shoveler 175
Gadwall 20
Eurasian Wigeon 3 McAllister Creek Viewing Platform.
American Wigeon 600
Eurasian x American Wigeon (hybrid) 1 Spotted by Rob Chrisler, a male
Wigeon with red markings on head. Spotted from Twin Barns Observation
Platform.
Mallard 125
Northern Pintail 125
Green-winged Teal (American) 150
dabbling duck sp. 500 Nisqually Reach.
Ring-necked Duck 11
Bufflehead 250
Common Goldeneye 65 We counted birds in McAllister Creek, the
Nisqually Reach from the Puget Sound Observation Platform, and Nisqually
River Overlook. We observed unusually high counts in both the McAllister
Creek and Nisqually. For example, we may normally see 3-5 Goldeneye in
Nisqually River, today we observed 20 species. Observations were with
binoculars and scope at 100 feet to 0.5 mile on our regular walk. We had
high numbers of Bufflehead as well.
Hooded Merganser 8
Common Merganser 17 Nisqually River Overlook.
Red-breasted Merganser 25 McAllister Creek and Reach
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Horned Grebe 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 12
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Rufous Hummingbird 7 Orchard, Twin Barns cut-off from Loop Trail, Twin
Barns Overlook, NE corner of Twin Barns Loop Trail, east side of Loop Trail.
Sora 1 Heard, flooded field south of Access Road.
American Coot 150
Spotted Sandpiper 2 West bank of McAllister Creek.
Greater Yellowlegs 20
Short-billed Gull 125
Ring-billed Gull 45
Glaucous-winged Gull 3
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 15
Larus sp. 100
Brandt's Cormorant 4 Nisqually River channel marker.
Double-crested Cormorant 5
Great Blue Heron 25
Turkey Vulture 1 Spotted by Anders over McAllister Creek hill.
Bald Eagle 65 High count. Occupied next north of Nisqually Estuary
Trail in big Cottonwood Tree on west back of Nisqually River.
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Belted Kingfisher 1
Downy Woodpecker 7
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker (Red-shafted) 2
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted x Red-shafted) 1
Steller's Jay 1
California Scrub-Jay 2 Visitor Center and Orchard.
American Crow 30 Nest building in riparian habitat adjacent to sloughs
and flooded fields.
Common Raven 3
Black-capped Chickadee 12
Chestnut-backed Chickadee 10
Tree Swallow 125
Violet-green Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 4
Bushtit 7 Nest building in Douglas Fir next to Orchard.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Brown Creeper 4
Pacific Wren 1
Marsh Wren 4
Bewick's Wren 3
European Starling 300 Cavities in Cottonwoods and Maples.
Varied Thrush 1 Orchard.
American Robin 64
Purple Finch 5
American Goldfinch 6