[Tweeters] Leucistic Northern Harrier?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Apr 12 15:37:19 PDT 2023

Hello my tweets,

Yesterday I saw an extremely light colored Northern Harrier at the East 90.
It was so light I first thought it might be a peregrine - but the behavior
was all wrong ... it was "working a ditch, down low and running down it, and
then swooping up a bit and turning and going back down the same ditch". My
next mistaken ID was thinking it was an SEO - but the wings were all wrong.
I -finally- realized it was a Harrier. I also saw the same bird about 1/2
hour later and again it was behaving like a harrier.
That pair of harriers that works the river dike - quite far away (East)
was also working and chasing each other. I've seen this pair before.
Almost always in the same general area and flying up high (200 feet?)
rather than staying low like harriers are "supposed to do" ... *G*.

Has anyone else seen the "leucistic Harrier" on the Samish Flats?

- Jim