[Tweeters] Billy Frank Jr Nisqually NWR, Wednesday Walk for 4/12/2023

Shep Thorp shepthorp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:21:44 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

Approximately 30 of us had a really nice Spring Day at the Refuge with
partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the 30's to 50's degrees
Fahrenheit. There was a High 11.7ft Tide at 9:25am, so we chased the tide
and did the Nisqually Estuary Trail and Nisqually Estuary Boardwalk Trail
in the morning and saved the Orchard for the afternoon. Highlights
included the arrival of several spring species including FOY COMMON
YELLOWTHROAT, CLIFF SWALLOW, CASPIAN TERN and OSPREY. We had great looks
at numerous GREATER YELLOWLEGS, Myrtle variety of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER,
WILSON SNIPE and breeding plumage COMMON LOON. We were able to see
EURASIAN WIGEON and BRANT GEESE, but the waterfowl numbers have decreased
from the last few weeks. Some of our group relocated the SEMIPALMATED
PLOVER in the surge plain, and there was a snappy breeding plumage
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER on the mudflats west of Leschi Slough.

We had 83 species for the day with 115 species for the year. eBird list
copied below.

Until next week, happy birding.

Shep

--
Shep Thorp
Browns Point

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Apr 12, 2023 7:05 AM - 5:04 PM
Protocol: Traveling
7.984 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Wednesday Walk. Cloudy in the morning, partly sunny
in the afternoon. Temperatures in the 30’s to 50’s degrees Fahrenheit. A
High 11.7ft Tide at 9:25am. Mammals seen Townsend’s Chipmunk, Eastern Gray
Squirrel, Eastern Cotton-tailed Rabbit, Coyote, Harbor Seal, and Columbian
Black-tailed Deer. Other sightings Pacific Chorus Frog, Red-eared Slider,
Red-legged Frog, Garter Snake, Bullfrog, other very dark frog, Starry
Flounder.
83 species (+7 other taxa)

Brant 46
Cackling Goose 100
Cackling Goose (minima) 750
Cackling Goose (Taverner's) 75
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) 30
Wood Duck 8
Northern Shoveler 77
Gadwall 10
Eurasian Wigeon 1
American Wigeon 250
Eurasian x American Wigeon (hybrid) 1
Mallard 200
Northern Pintail 150
Green-winged Teal (American) 400
Ring-necked Duck 6
Surf Scoter 18
Bufflehead 200
Common Goldeneye 75 Counted. Likely more. Seen along side Bufflehead,
Scoters and Mergansers in McAllister Creek, Nisqually Reach, and Nisqually
River.
Hooded Merganser 6
Common Merganser 4
Red-breasted Merganser 25
Pied-billed Grebe 3
Horned Grebe 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 6
Band-tailed Pigeon 3
Anna's Hummingbird 2
Rufous Hummingbird 9
American Coot 175
Black-bellied Plover 1
Semipalmated Plover 4 Seen by some of our group in south east corner
of surge plain. Small peep sized Plover with sing breast band.
Least Sandpiper 80
Wilson's Snipe 4
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Greater Yellowlegs 40
Short-billed Gull 200
Ring-billed Gull 50
California Gull 1
Glaucous-winged Gull 2
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 10
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 20
Caspian Tern 7
Common Loon 2
Brandt's Cormorant 1
Double-crested Cormorant 4
Great Blue Heron 12
Turkey Vulture 1
Osprey (carolinensis) 1
Northern Harrier 2
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Bald Eagle 40 Two nests. One West Bank of Nisqually River north of
dike, the other on the West Bank of McAllister Creek adjacent to Puget
Sound Observation Platform.
Red-tailed Hawk (calurus/alascensis) 4
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-breasted Sapsucker 2