[Tweeters] Did someone say Varied Thrush? :)

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 15 18:52:24 PDT 2023

I did love Bob's plate!

And it's interesting to imagine that, for as often as I go on my little rambles about the Varied Thrush, and why it's so amazing, that I stumbled on a new reason that it would make a lovely state bird, but how about this:

It has two sets of vocal cords.

I know all thrushes do, but I don't know that there's a thrush out there that highlights this as well as the varied thrush. The steam-whistle calls get their aching beauty from those paired tones, and the harmonics they produce. And our state, beautiful as it is, sometimes has two sets of vocal cords. . . doesn't it? (a note that just reminded me to cc our birding friends on the other side of the state). With the East and West sides of the state, there are such stark differences in weather, landscapes, professions, and politics. . . we're not always singing the same note! But it seems like we could hope that at times, when we're the wisest, best versions of ourselves, that those notes will pair up to make something as beautiful as what we get to hear on crisp March mornings.

And where are these birds off to in the coming summer months? Up to the highest most beautiful parts of our state, where, on a clear day, you might be able to see both sides.

I doubt that the symbolism would be lost on Governor Inslee, who has actually spent time living on both sides of the state.

Now. . . leading up to 1951, it sounds like it was two contentious years of voting before the school kids picked the American Goldfinch. I don't know what kind of a fight it would take to get people to go through all of that again. But, c'mon. The junco was among the also-rans. . . folks, they had the Oregon​ Junco in the running as our state bird. Reason to question the process? 😄

I'd be down to write a letter or two.

Cheers,

Tim Brennan
Renton