[Tweeters] The Great Thrush Caper

Jim Elder jelder at meteorcomm.com
Sun Apr 16 19:00:22 PDT 2023

Dave,
I may have seen your bird this afternoon at Discovery Park. It fits your description perfectly with the white flecked head except around the eye, black breast band, rusty flanks. If it was the same bird it was fun but it wasn't a Dusky Thrush. My bird at least was a leucistic Spotted Towhee. In addition to all the characteristics you listed, it also had a conical beak, red eye, and the mew call of a towhee. They are pretty striking with a white head. It was approximately here: 47.658280, -122.423375 which is near where your new Capehart trail returns into the loop trail by one of the overlooks. Is that where you saw your bird?

Jim Elder, Seattle