[Tweeters] State Bird?

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Tue Apr 18 14:08:18 PDT 2023

Hi,

To me the State bird should be one that is "common" - so that kids
like I once was have a good chance of seeing and hearing them. The
Robin, Seagull, Red-tailed Hawk, Great Blue Heron and Bald Eagle
come to mind as possibles.

But I'm perfectly OK with the Goldfinch - they've been showing up
here the last 2 or 3 weeks. Almost always in small flocks of 6 to 10
birds at a time. Very visible (both due to color and activity level)
and a true joy to have in our backyard.
Although I've seen a few Varied Thrushes ... not nearly as many as
those I suggested in my list above. But I don't see the need to
change from the flashy Goldfinch ... ;-)
- Jim