[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagle's Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 4-20-2023

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Thu Apr 20 20:53:50 PDT 2023

Tweeters,

The cold (33degF) start only warmed up slightly (43degF) when the seven of us finished, but we did manage to dodge the rain - only getting sprinkled on a bit during the last half-mile of our 10th anniversary trip around JBLM's Eagle's Pride GC. We had a few notables (besides the bear report), mainly being FOY birds:

BAND-TAILED PIGEON - 6

BARN SWALLOW - 4

VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW - 14

ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER - 3

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER - 2

We also found a DARK-EYED JUNCO nest with 4 eggs in it, and a pair of CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES were excavating further into a partial cavity in a snaggish-looking (pretty thin - dead) tree near the pond at the 13th hole. Two pairs of WOOD DUCKS were a nice treat: one pair at Hodge Lake and the other at the 13th hole pond.

Mammals include Townsend's chipmunk, Douglas squirrel, Eastern gray squirrel (one of the first seen on the golf course proper). A golf course employee stopped to tell us that a BLACK BEAR had been sighted recently in an area we go past. Most fortuitously, a golfer on the 15th hole showed us a photo that he took on March 29 of the bear on the far side of Hodge Lake. The bear was facing a coyote!

The JBLM Eagle's Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagle's Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* May 18

* June 15

* July 20

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBirdPNW report:

38 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 10

Wood Duck 4 A pair at hole 13 pond and another pair at Hodge Lake.

Mallard 7

Ring-necked Duck 4 One pair at the maintenance pond and one pair at Hodge Lake.

Bufflehead 9

Pied-billed Grebe 1 At Hodge Lake.

Band-tailed Pigeon 6

Mourning Dove 4

Anna's Hummingbird 3

hummingbird sp. 1

Red-tailed Hawk 1

Northern Flicker 4

Hutton's Vireo 1

Steller's Jay 10

American Crow 5

Black-capped Chickadee 15

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 20 One pair excavating further into a probable woodpecker-drilled partial hole near the pond on hole 13.

Tree Swallow 20

Violet-green Swallow 14

Barn Swallow 4

Bushtit 2

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 5

Golden-crowned Kinglet 13

Red-breasted Nuthatch 10

Brown Creeper 2

Bewick's Wren 1

European Starling 6

American Robin 125

House Finch 8

Purple Finch 20

American Goldfinch 2

Dark-eyed Junco 22 One nest with four eggs found in the rough along the 4th hole of the Green course.

White-crowned Sparrow 30

Song Sparrow 15

Spotted Towhee 5

Red-winged Blackbird 27

Orange-crowned Warbler 3 All singing.

Yellow-rumped Warbler 2

Townsend's Warbler 2

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS134434118&data=05%7C01%7C%7Cb4d3524346d042a772fb08db421ae2e8%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638176455458414913%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=LqyMxIcpH243xcPh1KEEOYuWwwKmXQvDkh7XW4zetx4%3D&reserved=0<https://ebird.org/checklist/S134434118>

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com