[Tweeters] Getting rid of moles ...

Helen Gilbert helen.gilbert.2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 12:49:38 PDT 2023

Re: Jim Betz's dilemma

My conclusion after trying unsuccessfully to get rid of moles at a
previous house is that it isn't actually possible. We tried non-lethal
efforts such as running hoses and pouring on predatory animal urine, but
now I realize that it just caused the moles to pop up in new places.

At my current house, moles started showing up a couple years ago in our
sidewalk strip. We ignored them and they have pretty much just kept to
the same burrows so there is very little damage.

I don't think there's a chance that moles could deplete the earthworm
population in healthy soil. Jim is creating a great natural habitat that
should build rich soil, so I think the earthworms will be in no danger.
And moles also aerate the soil -- and fertilize it too, I expect!

Helen
Seattle