[Tweeters] Scatter Creek Wildlife Area 4/26/2023

Christopher Clark cjbirdmanclark at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 16:54:22 PDT 2023

Good afternoon,

This morning I visited Scatter Creek Wildlife Area for the first time. It
was an enjoyable trip!

My first stop was the Case Rd access point. At the northernmost parking
area, I heard FOY (First of Year) Wilson's Warbler. Savannah and
White-crowned Sparrows were heard, as were two Lesser Goldfinches, now a
rather widespread species along the south Puget Sound area.

Next stop was the other parking lot along Case Rd, slightly farther south.
The first birds to greet me here were a pair of Western Bluebirds! They
were claiming the nest box on the information board. This allowed me a
great chance to get some photos (maintaining an appropriate distance, of
course). I have a few photos attached to my eBird checklist below.
Hopefully they're ok with their nest being so close to the bathroom and
trail access. Also present were several Violet-green Swallows, one of which
was also interested in that nest box. Evening Grosbeaks were heard flying
over, another FOY for me. Side note: That big pothole at the entrance of
this parking area is brutal for most normal cars. I bottomed out a couple
of times. Worth it though!

Last stop was at the south end of the area, along Guava St SW. Violet-green
Swallows were swarming the nest box here. Purple Finches were heard
singing, as were FOY House Wrens. One was being chased by a Bewick's Wren.
A pair of Purple Martins, another FOY, were seen perching in a tree.

I'm looking forward to returning to the area, hopefully in a few weeks when
some more of our summer visitors start arriving! Please note that to access
any part of this wildlife area, you do need a Washington State Discover
Pass. As I'm finishing this email I realized that Lesser Goldfinch and
House Wren are new Thurston County birds for me. Cool! Ebird checklist
below:

https://ebird.org/pnw/checklist/S135117976

Christopher Clark