[Tweeters] Avian pox on Gray-crowned Rosy Finch

Eric Ellingson esellingson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 19:39:35 PDT 2023

Just back from a trip to Mt Baker>Artist Point>Table Mountain.

I dipped on my search for Whtie-tailed Ptarmagin but had a good look at a
Clark's Nutcracker (only my 2nd viewing ever from there), and the most
Gray-crowned Rosy Fich I've ever seen. Counting off a photo I took zoomed
out at 100mm and counted *132*. I'm sure a good number were also out of the
field of view. Also seen closer were a pair and another group of 3 with a
single juvenile.

Looking closer at some photographs I see a 'crusty' build-up at the base of
the bills of the adult pair. I guess the build-up could be from something
they were eating but they were seen just pecking at things on the snow
bank, no peanut butter suet that I could see.

Here is a photo of the pair with pox: https://flic.kr/p/2oTwwCQ
Here is the eBird list with photos including the others sighted.
https://ebird.org/checklist/S146384278

--

Eric Ellingson

360-820-6396 | esellingson at gmail.com