[Tweeters] July 29 Westport Seabirds trip report

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 15:15:09 PDT 2023

Hi Tweeters,

With thoughts of albatrosses and whales ahead on a smooth sea, we eagerly
boarded the *Monte Carlo* at Westport Marina for our Westport Seabirds
pelagic trip. After Bill's excellent introductory talk and Phil's safety
review, we headed through the marina and out to the open water of the bay.
A few leftover Pigeon Guillemots (6) and an increasing number of Heermann's
Gulls (162) were recorded as we headed towards the open ocean.

An introduction to pelagic birds off the Washington coast always includes
Sooty Shearwaters (248), Common Murres (170), and Rhinoceros Auklets (229)
and today was no different. Participants were able to get comfortable with
the habits of these species which made identification of later species
easier. It was encouraging to encounter a sizable number of Red-necked
Phalaropes over the Continental Shelf and these numbers grew to a day total
of 569, the most I've seen in quite a while! Pink-footed Shearwaters
(691) were added to the mix as we motored our way to the whiting fleet that
was working the shelf edge and its anticipated collection of seabirds.

Black-footed Albatross (223!), Northern Fulmar (126), and Short-tailed
Shearwater (21) soon took to the avian stage and we really appreciated the
large concentration of albatross, the variety of fulmar plumages and the
subtle differences between Sooty and Short-tailed Shearwaters. A Pomarine
Jaeger (2) made a quick pass but an adult Parasitic Jaeger (2) circled the
boat several times for great viewing and photography. We eventually headed
to deep water off the shelf. Our mega highlight of the day came in the
form of our first white rumped storm petrel of the day. However, eagle
eye Ryan immediately said, that's not a Leach's, that a Wilson's! Photos
gave us proof that we had just seen Washington State's ~6th record of
WILSON'S STORM-PETREL! Analysis included flight style, leg projection, and
a conversation about molt timing in storm-petrels. Thanks go to Ryan and
the other folks who were quick on the camera triggers! Fresh with those
images in mind, Leach's (23) and Fork-tailed Storm-Petrels (30) that
approached the boat in deep water were eventually seen well with great
opportunities for comparison. A thumbs up three storm-petrel day!

After Phil turned the *Monte Carlo* towards home, we knew we still had our
work cut out for us - find another species of albatross! Liam stepped up
to the plate and called out a LAYSAN ALBATROSS(1) in a flock of Pink-footed
Shearwaters. Such a wonderful species! It flew around for about 10 minutes
and landed on the water several times much to the delight of all on board.
Other highlights of the return trip included numerous Cassin's Auklets (39)
and Red-necked Phalaropes, an uncooperative distant South Polar Skua (1)
and a beautiful Tufted Puffin (2)! Several Pink-footed Shearwaters perched
on a floating log seemed a bit out of place. Not a bad day to be at sea!

Marine mammals always add some spice to our Westport Seabirds trips so
the Humpback Whales (10), Dall's Porpoise (16), Harbor Porpoise (7),
Northern Elephant Seal (1), numerous Northern Fur Seals (15) and a single
Steller's Sea Lion (1) were greatly appreciated. The humongous Mola Mola
(7) and a few Blue Sharks (2+) also added another dimension to the trip.

Brown Pelicans and all three species of west coast Cormorants coated the
south jetty and we were able to pick out Wandering Tattler (2) and Black
Turnstone (1). A mixture of gulls lined the outer harbor and Harbor Seal
(5) heads bobbed to observe our entry into the marina and the end of our
trip.

Westport Seabirds thanks all of the enthusiastic participants who make
these trips a success. Also, thanks to Captain Phil and first mate Chris
for their consummate professionalism, natural history knowledge and ginger
cookies! Also, a shout out to our guides Bill Tweit, Gene Revelas and me.

Even though the Westport Seabirds schedule (
http://westportseabirds.com/2023-schedule/) shows all trips as full, it's
always a good idea to get on a waitlist and hope.

I hope to see you onboard!

Jim Danzenbaker for Westport Seabirds.
--
Jim Danzenbaker