[Tweeters] Northern goshawk, Hurricane Ridge

Richard Schneider rchrdschndr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 07:14:24 PDT 2023

Howdy

During the 'Ride the Hurricane' cycling event at Olympic National Park, I
saw a northern goshawk slow-cruising northwest, just south of Klahane
Ridge, about mile 16.5 on the road, just below the last curve to the west.
Google puts the location about 47.970294, -123.486844 -- there's a big
gravel pullout on the uphill side, a lesser one on the downhill. Time was a
bit after 11 a.m. May 6.

At first glance I took it for a peregrine by the long narrow tail, but as
the angle changed and it came closer, I could see the wings were not
pointed, and it had quite a robust body and was moving pretty slowly. And
it was easily the size of a red-tailed hawk.

The light was not great up there yesterday morning and I had no bins. I
could not quite make out the eyestripe, but there was some darkness around
the eye & forehead, virtually no contrast on the body, and the rump
appeared whitish -- it seemed to be an adult bird.

Good birding,

Richard Schneider
Port Angeles WA