[Tweeters] Brian Bell

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 09:56:41 PDT 2023

I was disheartened to hear the news about Brian’s passing. He’s been such a mainstay for the WA birding community - He led some of the first birding outings I went on, helped nurture the community at WOS meetings and Seattle Audubon at the Field Trips Committee and Master Birder Program, and so much more. As Michael said, Brian’s commitment to teaching and building the community was illustrated over and over again through his classes and leadership.

The Marymoor survey, though, was where I got to know him best as we joined Michael, week after week over the years. It really is hard to imagine Thursdays without Brian around.

Outside of birding outings, Brian was a constant and supportive friend. Over the past couple months when I’ve been unable to attend the weekly walks, Brian was great about checking in - calling every couple weeks and even visiting me in person.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA