[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup - July 2023

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 10:16:31 PDT 2023

Hi Tweets,

We ended July with 173 species on the Edmonds year list. New species, in taxonomic order, include:

Semipalmated Plover (code 3), several reports at Edmonds marsh early in July but no description of the species until 7-25-23 and then a good ID photo on 7-28-23.

Red-necked Phalarope (code 3), 6 reported from Marina Beach, 7-9-23, and 1 reported from the waterfront 7-30-23.

House Wren (code 4), 1 at Edmonds marsh, 7-16-23.

There are several code 3, 4, and 5 species in eBird checklists in July that did not include a photo, recording, or an adequate description of field marks so we have declined to add them to the year list. They are just too rare to add without some evidence, particularly for a first-of-year bird.

Several months ago I mentioned that we now have three Osprey nest sites in Edmonds. That was based on seeing an Osprey on a cell tower near Five Corners. The nest ended up being used by a Great Blue Heron so we are back to two known Osprey nest sites.

As always, I appreciate it when birders get in touch with me to share sightings, photos, or audio. It helps us build our collective year list. If you would like a copy of our 2023 city checklist, please request it from checklistedmonds at gmail dot com. (It reflects a species total of 280, including the Nazca Booby.) If eBirders will use the details field for unusual Edmonds birds (code 3 or rarer), it will help us build the city year list. Photographs or recordings are also helpful. The 2023 checklist is posted in the bird information box at the Visitor Station at the base of the public pier and is up to date through July.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records