[Tweeters] Novel machine-learning method produces detailed population trend maps for 550 bird species

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 12:06:05 PDT 2023

Ah, this is the science paper behind eBird's amazing Trends maps. They are
remarkable. In some instances I was able to compare them with other data
(e.g. surveys or even CBC data) and they lined up pretty well.

To see them, go to *eBird*, click the *Science *tab, then *Status & Trends*,
and then type in a species name.

It defaults to the *Abundance *map, which is a basic range map color coded
for abundance -- by season. You can then click on *Trends *and see the red,
white, and blue dots. If you hover over them, the detailed trend appears.

For example, if I hover over the dot nearest Seattle for Spotted Towhee, it
says declined 28%. That is since 2007 (there's a legend on the upper
right).

These are wonderful maps -- each dot on each map is like a survey of its
own.

On Sun, Aug 13, 2023 at 2:01 PM Alan Roedell <alanroedell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting article. My impression after living in Seattle for 80 years,

> is that most species have declined. Crows and accipiters buck the trend.

> I miss the swallows most.

> Alan, Seattle

> On Sun, Aug 13, 2023, 12:52 PM Dan Reiff <dan.owl.reiff at gmail.com> wrote:

>> https://phys.org/news/2023-08-machine-learning-method-population-trend-bird.html