[Tweeters] Novel machine-learning method produces detailed population trend maps for 550 bird species

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 13:40:20 PDT 2023

John Fitzpatrick of Cornell Lab (retired now?) spoke in broad strokes about
eBird's Trends methodology at a WOS talk a couple years ago (during the
pandemic shutdown). I think it's not recorded.

The biggest challenge, as you might imagine, is that eBird use increases
about 30%/yr, or at least did at some point, and they are calculating
trends from 2007 to 2021. Many didn't start using ebird until about 2012 or
much later. So, using raw numbers, every bird is probably increasing
dramatically. They had to correct for a massive increase in observer effort
over time.

I remember they used presence/absence data only, not counts, so they're
focusing on the odds of detecting a bird on a checklist ("frequency").
That's crude, but over time probably approximates "abundance." And, most
importantly, they only used eBird checklists from certain experienced
observers going to the same places repeatedly -- and these were chosen by a
computer algorithm. The computer knows which species you should be seeing
with what frequency, and at some point it cuts off checklists that don't
meet some criteria. So basically they mined the data for the most
comprehensive checklists.

He implied their methods would be published, but I'm not sure if this is
that publication or a later one, and perhaps the original one is out there.
Let me know if you find it!

>>> wrote:

>>> Tweeters mailing list

>>> Tweeters at u.washington.edu