[Tweeters] Nuthatch dispersal

Eric Heisey magicman32 at rocketmail.com
Fri Aug 18 09:46:32 PDT 2023

Hi all,

In the last week and a half I have observed out-of-place nuthatches in several locations. Last week I lucked into both a Pygmy and White-breasted Nuthatch at my campsite in Snowgrass Flats, Lewis Co (where both species are very rare), and yesterday I photographed a Pygmy Nuthatch at my parents’ house in Granger. Oregon is experiencing an irruption on the west side currently, so keep an eye and ear open, especially on the westside. Pygmy Nuthatch would be a nice county first for a number of westside counties!

I am curious why dispersal seems to be taking nuthatches further afield this fall, perhaps it could be tied to poor ponderosa pine seed yields? I am not sure, only speculating.

Best,

Eric Heisey

Sent from my iPhone