[Tweeters] Joint Base Lewis McChord (JBLM) Eagle's Pride Golf Course (GC) monthly bird walk - 8-17-2023

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Aug 18 21:07:50 PDT 2023

Tweeters,
I'm a bit behind but hope to have Russ Smith share the eBird list with all participants sometime this weekend. In the meantime .... Eighteen of us managed to escape the hot weather of the past few days and the JBLM Eagle's Pride GC was relatively mild to start with (65degF) but increased to 85degF by the time we finished this past Thursday. Migrants seemed to be coming through, and we had a couple of "hot" birding spots on our way around. The maintenance pond, which is near the driving range and surrounded by willows and some cattails, was especially productive. Notable sightings today include the following:

WARBLING VIREO - 3 at the maintenance pond (MP)

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER - 22, most of which were at MP

WOOD DUCK - 21, split mostly between the 9th hole pond and Hodge Lake

COMMON YELLOWTHROAT - 1 at MP

YELLOW WARBLER - 1 at MP

MACGILLIVRAY'S WARBLER - 1 at MP

WILSON'S WARBLER - 1 at MP, and one further on

RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER - 1 at MP

BEWICK'S WREN - 1 at MP with others further on

WESTERN TANAGER - 1 at the MP and a couple of others further on

HUTTON'S VIREO - 1

PIED-BILLED GREBE - 1 adult and 2 young at Hodge Lake and 1 adult at the 12th hole pond

HOUSE WREN - 1 (seemingly late for here) at a maintenance area between the 13th and 14th holes

Mammals included two black-tailed deer (one resting near the driving range), one long-tailed weasel, one cottontail rabbit, and a couple each of Townsend's chipmunk and Douglas squirrel.

The JBLM Eagle's Pride GC birders meet the third Thursday of each month at 8:00AM. Starting point is Bldg # 1514, Driving Range Tee, Eagle's Pride Golf Course, I-5 Exit 116, Mounts Road Exit. Upcoming walks include the following:

* September 21

* October 19

* November 16

Anyone is welcome to join us!

>From the eBird PNW list:

46 species

Wood Duck 21

Mallard 20

Pied-billed Grebe 4 Three at Hodge Lake and one (adult) at the 12th hole pond

Band-tailed Pigeon 17

Mourning Dove 1

Vaux's Swift 7

Anna's Hummingbird 9

Rufous Hummingbird 1 At the maintenance pond

Turkey Vulture 1

Red-breasted Sapsucker 1 At the maintenance pond

Downy Woodpecker 3

Hairy Woodpecker 1

Northern Flicker 6

Western Wood-Pewee 12

Willow Flycatcher 1

Hutton's Vireo 1

Warbling Vireo 3 At the maintenance pond

Steller's Jay 6

California Scrub-Jay 1

American Crow 1

Black-capped Chickadee 35

Chestnut-backed Chickadee 40

Barn Swallow 80 Most were around the driving range building.

Bushtit 14

Golden-crowned Kinglet 10

Red-breasted Nuthatch 18

Brown Creeper 2

House Wren 1

Bewick's Wren 8

European Starling 32

Swainson's Thrush 4

American Robin 20 A low number compared to what we've had the past few months.

Cedar Waxwing 11

House Finch 12

Dark-eyed Junco 11

White-crowned Sparrow 12

Song Sparrow 6

Spotted Towhee 10

Red-winged Blackbird 1 At the maintenance pond

Brown-headed Cowbird 2

MacGillivray's Warbler 1 At the maintenance pond

Common Yellowthroat 1 At the maintenance pond

Yellow Warbler 1 At the maintenance pond

Yellow-rumped Warbler 22 Most were at the maintenance pond

Wilson's Warbler 2

Western Tanager 3

View this checklist online at https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Febird.org%2Fchecklist%2FS147577625&data=05%7C01%7C%7Ce980eb4c8c5448ad266808dba06882f2%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638280142963819170%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=RCpHPZfKrAsFSOe697c3lK%2BI5fvjjzXuJ9RLUaFeVYg%3D&reserved=0<https://ebird.org/checklist/S147577625>

May all your birds be identified,
Denis

Denis DeSilvis
Avnacrs 4 birds at outlook dot com