[Tweeters] Smith Island Puffins and more ...

jimbetz at jimbetz.com jimbetz at jimbetz.com
Wed Aug 23 13:48:39 PDT 2023

Hi,

We went on a Puffin Tour to Smith Island yesterday. In addition to
dozens of
Tufted Puffins we also saw some Rhinoceros Auklets, Marbled Murrelets
(at Lopez
on the way), Common Murres, and Pigeon Guillemot. Did not see the lone Horned
Puffin (probably just missed it). There were lots of different gull species
including Heermann's, Western, California, Glaucous, Ring-Billed, and
many that
were all grey/almost black (id?). Several Red-necked grebes. And
Cormorants that
were too far away to discern exact species.

If that wasn't enough - we went inside Deception Pass to catch some Orcas
near Kiket Island that made a kill while we were watching. Lots of activity
including spy-hopping. There were some kayakers that happened to be in on
the action during the kill ... they didn't try to be there it just happened
right in front of them. Someone shouted to the seal (the focus of the attack)
to jump on a kayak (recent youtube videos) but I'm sure the kayakers were
happy that didn't happen. *G*

On the return to Cap Sante thru the Swinomish Slough we got to see lots of
GBH and that flock of over a hundred White Pelicans that has been hanging out
around the spit on the North entrance to the slough (if you want to see
them you can do so from March Point road - they've been there for at least 3
weeks now).

Overall a -very- birdy day. And I got some great pictures!
- Jim