[Tweeters] Wednesday Walk at Nisqually

Kenneth Brown kenbrownpls at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 14:03:53 PDT 2023

Everyone seemed to enjoy the break in the weather, the day being cooler and overcast in the morning after rain showers overnight. That must account, at least in part, for why there were 40 or so in attendance for the weekly walk. When the group is large we tend to scatter a bit more and this was no exception. We are in the summer doldrums still but they're coming to an end soon as migration picks up. A single Long-billed Curlew continues to grace the mudflats, joined by at least 2 Baird's Sandpipers, a Semi-palmated Sandpiper and 10 Semi-palmated Plovers, along with the usual shorebird species. Out on the reach a small raft of Common Mergansers were observed. The list of species follows:

Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR, Thurston, Washington, US
Aug 23, 2023 7:56 AM - 3:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.37 mile(s)
71 species (+3 other taxa)

Canada Goose 7
Wood Duck 2
Northern Shoveler 2
Mallard 35
Northern Pintail 4
Green-winged Teal 2
Hooded Merganser 3
Common Merganser 16
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 7
Band-tailed Pigeon 5
Mourning Dove 3
Vaux's Swift 5
Anna's Hummingbird 2
Virginia Rail 1
American Coot 1
Semipalmated Plover 10
Killdeer 2
Long-billed Curlew 1 * Continuing. Long, decurved bill. No stripes on head/crown
Sanderling 1
Baird's Sandpiper 2
Least Sandpiper 125
Semipalmated Sandpiper 1
Western Sandpiper 450
Wilson's Snipe 2
Greater Yellowlegs 9
Ring-billed Gull 75
California Gull 28
Glaucous-winged Gull 5
Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) 4
Western/Glaucous-winged Gull 24
Larus sp. 200
Caspian Tern 8
Brandt's Cormorant 6 Nisqually Reach channel marker
Double-crested Cormorant 32
Great Blue Heron 65
Osprey 1
Northern Harrier 1 Immature