[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, August 23

Cindy McCormack nwbirder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 22:01:51 PDT 2023

Visiting birders from Canada, N. Carolina, Maryland, Georgia, Florida, and
England made up a good portion of the roster for the day's trip, with
several PNW birders rounding out the trip's attendees.

Perhaps the first indication that our day at sea might be unusually
mammal-slanted was the loud and persistent chirping of a river otter
swimming in the marina, distracting everyone during the pre-trip
orientation. Perhaps just adding a bit of its own commentary on the early
hour. 😀

The skies were just starting to lighten as we headed out, but we were able
to make out a few flights of godwits wheeling around the marina. Common
Murres (417), several with youngsters, were easy to see despite the pesky
inshore fog. A few Harbor Porpoises (6) delighted some of the passengers
with their usual brief appearances. The bar crossing was amazingly smooth
and we soon escaped the fog. We were escorted from the bar crossing to
offshore waters by fantastic numbers of Sooty Shearwaters (9180), providing
great views in flight and sitting on the water as we motored past. We were
surprised to run into our first Pink-footed Shearwater in the inshore
waters.

About two hours into our trip offshore, the black sail of a dorsal fin made
an appearance ahead in the distance. The shout of “Orcas” went out, and all
aboard were straining for a look as we neared the area and slowed. We were
delighted with our views of them some distance ahead when one surfaced
right behind the boat, just a few meters away! Wow! These four were just
the beginning. We encountered 9 more in the next sector and 27 in the
following sector! Incredible!

As we headed further out, the shearwater species transitioned to more
Pink-footed (944) and Short-tailed (446), and we had some great views of
the striking Buller’s Shearwater (2). Understandably, our first
Black-footed Albatross (15) was a bit later than predicted, as we were a
bit delayed by our cetacean show and the fishing fleet was nowhere to be
found. We did come upon one spot-prawn boat, relatively small in comparison
with the big shrimping boats, but the Black-footed Albatrosses were still
in attendance as we neared. A couple baitfish were tossed out to entice the
loafing birds. They gradually swam closer but weren’t in any great hurry. A
few shearwaters and a Northern Fulmar (9) also came in to investigate.

We stopped in the deep water off the shelf for a bit of chumming. The
action was a bit slow, with only a few shearwaters and Fork-tailed
Storm-petrels (461) and a lone Black-footed Albatross showing a bit of
interest. Perhaps conditions weren’t ideal—the winds were quite light. But
we noticed some large numbers of birds gathering and swirling just before
the skyline, they had obviously found something much more attractive--the
activity of…more Orcas!!

We motored a bit closer to get a view of all this activity and counted at
least 19! Orcas everywhere! This was amazing! Several of us in the back of
the boat were mesmerized by a male approaching the boat, waiting for it to
surface, when Bill asked why no one had mentioned the South Polar Skua (5)
right next to us (whoops! Still got great views!). Interestingly, all five
of the South Polar Skuas today were exceptional views, as was the Pomarine
Jaeger (1), and one of the Long-tailed Jaegers (2).

An earlier flyover Tufted Puffin (2) didn’t provide everyone with adequate
views, especially a few on board with it on their wish list. But near the
shelf, a much more cooperative and inquisitive Tufted Puffin circled the
boat closely several times for even more satisfactory views. Rhinoceros
Auklets (81) were regularly encountered throughout the trip, but Cassin’s
Auklets (21) were less common and mostly distant. Most Sabine’s Gulls (27)
were seen at a good distance, but still easily recognized and striking in
their alternate plumage.

In addition to our total of 59 Orca (!!) and the earlier-mentioned Harbor
Porpoises, Humpback Whales (2), and Dall’s Porpoises (9) rounded out our
cetacean experience for the day. Other mammals of note included California
(4) and Northern (Steller’s) (3) Sea-lions, Guadalupe Fur Seal (4), fur
seal sp. (5), Elephant Seal (1), Harbor Seal (1).

For a complete trip list, visit:
https://westportseabirds.com/2023-trip-results/

Thanks to Phil and Chris Anderson and spotters Bill Shelmerdine and Scott
Mills for a spectacular day on sunny, calm seas.

Cindy McCormack for Westport Seabirds

--
Cindy McCormack