[Tweeters] Full Moon and Bird Migration Counting Methods

Dan Reiff dan.owl.reiff at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 01:52:52 PST 2023

Hello all,
I am seeking information regarding how Bird migration counters in the past counted birds crossing the full moon.
Also, did they count birds seen crossing near the moon or just in front of the moon?
Were counts also done during other moon phases?
These questions arise for me, because I was recently filming the full moon in the Skagit valley after dark, with within one hour after sunset, at 100-600 mm.
When I later viewed the video clips on my computer screen, I was able to clearly see the silhouettes of large numbers of birds migrating south, crossing in front of the moon, and many more visible within several degrees of the moon. Most appeared to be Cackling geese, but I am not certain.
It was very neat to see.

Thank you,
Dan Reiff, PhD

Sent from my iPhone