[Tweeters] Counting birds by the full moon

Steve Hampton stevechampton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 08:05:10 PST 2023

The moon-migration research was described in detail in Rebecca Heisman's
book, Flight Paths <https://rebeccaheisman.com/flight-paths/>, and in her
recent presentation to the Washington Ornith Society. Her talk is online.
The moon topic starts around minute 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K92bd6JGgPY

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 7:37 AM dan&erika <danerika at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.jstor.org/stable/4083149

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 7:14 AM Nelson Briefer <nreiferb at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Years ago in a publication by Smithsonian, was an article by a scientist,

>> I believe his name was, last name Evans. The method used was the method

>> used by hawk watchers. Using shape and proportions, and wing beats, the

>> identification of some birds can be afforded as they pass in front of the

>> moon. This method can also be used when the sun is well below the horizon

>> and the sky is dark and a raptor passes overhead at close range. In other

>> words, color and pattern, are just the skin of the bird, not the meat of

>> the bird. Nelson Briefer, Anacortes.

> --

> Dan or Erika Tallman

> Olympia, Washington

> danerika at gmail.com

> ".... the best shod travel with wet feet...Beware of all enterprises that

> require new clothes ....”—H. D. Thoreau

​Steve Hampton​
Port Townsend, WA (qatáy)